Sunday, 24 September 2017

Quilling Shredded Bank Statements

Hi everyone.

It's been a while!!

During the time I have been sadly neglecting this blog, the craft of quilling seems to have undergone something of a revival. If you're not familiar with quilling, it is basically the art of rolling up thin strips of paper, usually with the help of a small tool, gluing them together and then creating different shapes with the rolled up pieces. From these shapes, you can create some incredible designs such as this beautiful basket of flowers below. 


By © Inna Dorman / http://increations.blogspot.com

I was into quilling in a big way many years ago. At one time, I was even a member of the prestigious Quilling Guild. Then I began to find it a bit of a strain on my eyesight and even though I tried using larger strips of paper, I began to lose interest in it and went on to other things.

My thoughts have been turning to quilling again after seeing it being demonstrated quite a lot on the Create and Craft Channel recently but I hadn't got round to actually doing any. Then one day, I was shredding some old bank statements and realised that the strips were the perfect size and shape for quilling.

I decided to start quilling with the strips and see where it led me. I didn't follow a pattern but simply"freestyled", creating shapes and laying them down in a design that was pleasing to the eye. I must admit, I had to look back at an old quilling book (The internet hadn't been invented when I was into quilling the first time round!) to remind myself of some of the basic shapes that it's possible to make.


This is the finished result.




I put each section of the design straight onto a sheet of black card but you can quill the design, stick it all together and then glue it to your chosen surface if you prefer. It's a good idea to quill on to a piece of acetate first if you are using this method.

I'd also forgotten that you need a white glue that dries clear, as however careful you are, it is almost impossible not to get glue on the backing sheet as you are having to put glue on such a thin surface. Using a cocktail stick helps.

Here are some close-ups of parts of the design so that you can see the individual shapes better. You will notice I have also added some gold sequins to some of the shapes as a finishing touch.








Just a word of caution. Although it is highly unlikely that anyone could steal your bank details from shredded statements, especially once they are part of a quilled design, it's probably wise to be careful where you display your finished project, just to be on the safe side.

If you'd like to find out more about quilling and have a go at it yourself, there is lots of information on the internet. Here is a link to get you started:

http://www.honeysquilling.com/quilling-101-how-to-start-paper-quilling-a-free-tutorial/

In the meantime, I really will try not to neglect this blog any more.

Happy crafting!

Melissa x  

No comments:

Post a Comment