Monday, 10 August 2015

DaisyTrail Regency Love Scrapbook Page

Hi everyone.

Have you ever been on a run where all your equipment seems to go wrong at once? Well I seem to be on one of those runs now. First of all it was the computer which threw a wobbly to the tune of a hundred pounds. Then the shower packed up, fortunately not while I was standing under it with shampoo all over my hair. Next, when I switched on the lights in the sitting room... a big, fat nothing. I was sure that must be my three things but no. The colour on the television has now gone faulty and is making everything look yellow so I'm having to watch Create and Craft in black and white.

I'm not sure if all this is what has given me a bad case of "crafter's block" this week but for the first time for as long as I can remember, I haven't done any actual crafting. My craft room remains a desert of inactivity as last week's projects sit silently on my desk waiting to be attended to.

Fortunately, I haven't had designer's or scrapbooker's block (I never have designer's block, it's the only thing that keeps me sane) so I do have something to show you, at least.

One of my few remaining relations (a second cousin on my mother's side) sent me a lovely photo recently, depicting her grandfather and grandmother on their wedding day which probably took place sometime during the mid 1920s. Her grandfather was my grandmother's brother so he was my Great Uncle. We were able to exchange what little information we had about him, including that he was temporarily blinded by a gas attack during World War One but survived the atrocities and later became a very highly respected teacher.

The photo also means quite a lot to me because on closer inspection, I realised that the gentleman standing just to the back of the bride is my grandfather and the little bridesmaid is almost certainly my mother.

To try and do justice to the photo, I used a beautiful digikit called Regency Love from DaisyTrail which is part of a collection of three digikits, all on the theme of love. I really like the delicate, hand-painted style of this kit which seems to lend itself really well to scrapping a vintage wedding photograph.

Overlaying a black and white or sepia photo with coloured sections is very "on trend" at the moment and although the way I did it was quite fiddly to achieve, I think the result is surprisingly effective. Take a closer look at the bride's pearl necklace as well because that is taken from the embellishment in the top right-hand corner of the design using the eraser tool from CraftArtist2 and overlaying onto the original necklace in the photo.

The final finishing touch was to add an overlay mask (coloured to match the photo) to the background paper to give it a bit of texture and make the background a little less bland.

I intend to email the finished design to my second cousin when I get a moment and hopefully she will be pleased with what I've done with her and my family history photograph.


Copyright Melissa Lawrence 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment