Monday, 11 May 2015

Victoria Nelson Delights Scrapbook Page

Hi everyone.

You'll have to bear with me if this week's post is a bit shorter than usual. I've written somewhere in the region of 10,000 words this last two or three days. Normally that would take me about two or three months. As a result, I've already been up for over 22 hours and my eyes are on stalks.

The reason for such a burst of creativity (and yes, I am awake enough to remember that this is my crafting blog, not my writing blog) is that I've almost come to the end of writing the proposal for the book I'm working on which has a very strong link to Downton Abbey. As usual, it's taken far longer to complete than I'd bargained for, hence the need to put a on a bit of a spurt this week.

In case you don't already know, the proposed book is based on a collection of letters I inherited from my maternal grandmother. They were written to her by a close friend called Ethel North who, during the 1920s and early 1930s, was lady's maid to Lady Winifred Burghclere, the elder sister of the 5th Earl of Carnarvon. Those of you who watch Downton are probably aware that the inspiration for the fictional Crawley family came from the Carnarvon family and much of the series was filmed at Highclere Castle, the ancestral seat of the Carnarvons.

While working on the book I've been thinking quite a lot about my grandmother, Elsie Merrall. She died when I was six so I don't remember her very well but I recently came across a lovely photo of her that was taken in 1912 when she would have been about twenty. I've been wanting to do a scrapbook page of the photo for ages but was waiting for the right digikit to come along. This week it finally did in the form of the delightful Delights kit by the talented artist Victoria Nelson. You can find this digikit and others in her collections on the Daisytrail website.

The kit is really easy to work with and the project more or less created itself. I tried hard not to overload the page as I often tend to do and I'm particularly pleased with the digitally painted "gesso" behind the photo which blends in nicely with the background paper. Thanks to the always inspirational Michelle Jackson Mogford for that tip! 

Anyway, I hope you like the page. I'm off now to get some much needed sleep!


Copyright Melissa Lawrence 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment