Tuesday, 19 May 2015

Serif Parchment Digikits Projects

Hi everyone.

Where has the summer gone? I don't know what it's like where you are but we've had everything today. Rain, hail, strong winds, sunshine and the central heating on all day. Mind you, I shall be the first one complaining when it's too hot.

This week I've been experimenting with the Serif Parchment Digikits. If like me, you love the look of parchment craft but would never have the time or the inclination to do it, these digikits are a brilliant substitute. There are eight kits altogether and they provide a huge collection of digitally parched elements including butterflies, flowers, toppers, lace, frames and flourishes. Some of the elements are already coloured (although of course with the Craft Artist Professional Software you can make them any colour you wish) and some are left plain for you to colour in yourself either digitally or by hand. I started off with just three kits but quickly added more as once I'd got the hang of the techniques, I couldn't stop making things!

Although I struggled a little bit at first to get the look I wanted, I suddenly "got it", mainly when I realised that you needed to do a few specific things. So here are my Top Tips for working with these digikits.

1. Use a digital punch to punch out a plain section from a topper or frame. This gives you a piece of digital "parchment" and the parched images look much more realistic if placed over this.

2. Put a coloured "matt" using a quick shape or a piece of material under the toppers as they will show up much better.

3. Don't "shadow" your parchment images as it makes them look rather dull and grey.

And here are my projects.

On this 8 x 8 card I decoupaged the butterflies and although it may not show up that well in the photograph, they do look incredibly like someone (not me!) has spent ages parching them. The silver mirror board really seems to "pop" the design which is finished with some small pearls from my crafty stash.




The next project is a piece of home decor, something that the kits really lend themselves to. I "borrowed" a digistamp from another kit (sorry, can't remember which one) and turned it into a white silhouette. I decorated the dress and bonnet with elements from the floral parchment kit and then put the lady in one of the frame embellishments which I decorated with the same flowers. More pearls were added. Again, from a distance it looks pretty realistic.




The third project is another 8 x 8 card but with this one I used one of my own photos in the centre. I think the scalloped topper looks very much like a piece of parchment and the little organza bows from my stash really compliment the design. I used the gold mirror board leftover bits from a die-cut instead of gems. Waste not, want not!



All images copyright Melissa Lawrence 2015

If you would like to try digital parchment crafting yourself, the kits are all available on Daisytrail. There is also a very useful video tutorial showing how to use them on YouTube.

Have fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment